Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: MLU pre-release
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:52:17 -0700

At 12:58 PM 5/28/01 +0100, David Morgan wrote:

>>The R5 has a mirror lock-up lever, or rather a dial, situated on the left
>>of the viewfinder.
>>It also has a small brass pin on the base, near the lens mount. After
>>reading the posts on this subject, I have been trying to find out what it
>>does....
>>In all modes, except A with selective metering,  pressing the pin in (
>>using a tool carefully crafted from a paperclip) and then firing the
>>shutter seems to prevent the shutter firing ( no mirror lock-up) until the
>>paperclip is removed, at which point the shutter fires (as long as the
>>button is held down.
>>In A selective, the shutter fires, and remains open for about 10 secs.
>>
>>Hope this helps someone, because it has totally confused me!
>>
>>David

The dial on the left of the viewfinder is a shutter to close off the
viewfinder so while the camera is on a tripod, facing away from the sun,
bright sunlight won't come in the eyepiece and effect the camera's
metering. Yet another dial on the left of the viewfinder on later R cameras
is an adjustable diopter. Pull it out, turn it until you can see the GG
clearly, push it back in.

The pin hole on the bottom only switches off the meter system up to R7.
R7's use the camera battery for the meter system with or without a motor or
winder attached.

Jim