Subject: Re: [Leica] model releases etc.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:16:53 -0700

Dan Cardish wrote:
><Snip>
>
> I realize that some of you will point out that I would probably condemn
> much of HCB's photography.  Most of his work is real photojournalism, in
> that he was in the midst of tremendously newsworthy events.  It is not
> simple "Street Photography".    But I also feel that much of his work does
> exploit the subjects, as I feel that it is very unlikely that he ever asked
>><Snip>

No HCB is known for subjects that were not doing anything newsworthy and we all
try to emulate him by buying a Leica and going out and hitting the streets.
It fits more into artistic expression than journalism.
Freedom of expression rather than freedom of the press.
Thousands of students in Thousands of photography classes are instructed to do
the same and are doing so as we speak. They are out there shooting people as
they live and walk down the sidewalk. Pros are doing it too. With Hasselblads too!
If you are walking down the street it is very conceivable your picture is going
to be taken by such photographic artists and journalists in whatever combination.
I think it's a shame when a serious photo enthusiast takes this stance, Dan!

It's like a bartender that doesn't drink. A Cowboy who is a vegetarian. And so on.

You could think of it philosophically. They are not shooting a photography of YOU.
 Only the light that is bouncing off your face and clothes and body. It's not
YOU at all. It's just capturing light. As a photographer of I'd assume some
expertise these metaphysics I'd think should be second nature!
Photographs capture light not peoples souls.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/