Subject: RE: [Leica] film scanner recommendation
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 23:14:48 -0400

> Austin Franklin <darkroom@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >> Do you mean scanner DPI or print DPI?
> >
> > Scanner DPI is dependent on what your output size is going to be.

> This depends on your methodology and the capabilities of your scanner &
> software.

Not in the way I meant it.  I meant the optical resolution of your scanner
is dependent on what your maximum expected output size is going to be.  If
you are only going to print 8x10s, and not use Piezography, you can easily
use one of the lower resolution scanners, since your scanner produces enough
data for your output size.  You should ALWAYS scan at the optical resolution
of the scanner (for CCD scanners), period, no ifs, ands or buts.

If you are needing to print 20x24 prints, then you would be best getting a
scanner that gives you the most resolution you can afford...either a
Leafscan at 5080DPI for 35mm, or as a next best thing, a 4000DPI scanner...
Anything larger than 20x24 for 35mm, and you really should consider a drum
scanner.

Scanning at 5080DPI, you can send an image of 240PPI x 20x24 to the printer.
Scanning at 4000DPI, you can send an image of 240PPI x 16x20 to the printer.
Scanning at 2800DPI, you can send an image of 240PPI x 11x14 to the printer.

> Another approach is to always scan at the scanner's maximum resolution and
> then scale your files up or down in Photoshop or whatever as required for
> various formats (paper, webpage, e-mail, etc.).

That is the correct way to do it (scaling with resizing unchecked so there
is no interpolation or decimation) with any CCD scanner, which would mean
any con/pro-sumer level scanner.