Subject: Re: [Leica] film scanner recommendation
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 21:43:48 -0400

Austin Franklin <darkroom@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> Do you mean scanner DPI or print DPI?
>
> Scanner DPI is dependent on what your output size is going to be.

This depends on your methodology and the capabilities of your scanner &
software. Consumer film scanners have fixed mechanical resolutions. You
can't tell your HP PhotoSmart (or whatever), "I need an 8x10" print at
300dpi from this negative, cropped thus & so...please scan it at the
appropriate resolution," and expect the machine to adjust itself
accordingly. At best the scanner software will scale the resulting scan to
give you the output you want. But you still have a limited number of actual
scanning resolutions. I assume this holds true for the new Nikon scanners
too.

Another approach is to always scan at the scanner's maximum resolution and
then scale your files up or down in Photoshop or whatever as required for
various formats (paper, webpage, e-mail, etc.).

- -Dave-