Subject: [Leica] M eyepiece correction lenses
From: Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 22:29:16 -0700

In the case of the M, I believe that the eyepiece as manufactured
puts the virtual image out at infinity (lots of cameras don't).  If I
am correct, and this supposition worked for me, then the corrector
lens you want is the one that comes closest to your prescription in
diopters.

The reason I say this is that I bought a corrector at the infamous K
& S in Palo Alto.  I checked it out by looking through my glasses at
a distant object and rapidly switching between my glass and the
eyepiece correction lens.  The idiot clerk insisted that you couldn't
do it that way and ran off to find a Leica; I hadn't brought mine.
Of course, when he found one, the corrector that I chose seemed ok
when screwed into the camera, but in my opinion, my ability to judge
through the camera was not as critical as the way I had been doing
it.  The clerk kept protesting and I finally had to shut him up by
telling him that my graduate degree was in physics and that I knew a
wee bit about optics.

To add injury to insult, their price was $99 for that bit of glass.
To bad I hadn't checked first with B & H, whose price, if I remember
correctly, is $72.

Good luck,

Herb