Subject: [Leica] model releases etc.
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 23:50:18 -0400 (EDT)

>I wonder how many photographers hire private detectives to reestablish
>contact with their body of work to ask their permission one last time
>before the book of their body of work gets published?

[snip]

>If you had to ask your photosubjects permission before your pictures got
>ran you'd go nuts and the whole media would grind to a halt.
>Freedom of expression here in the U.S.A. and Freedom of the press would
>be no more.

i was actually in the office of a fameous magnum photographer when a
representative from her publisher came by to ask about a particular
photograph which was about to appear in a new book coming out. this
photographer looked at the photo, went to a filing cabinet, and pulled out
the appropriate model release -- signed in 1976. i asked her if she always
got model releases, she replied "from every single person i've ever
photographed." the most amazing story she told me was about a fraternity
party, where maybe 100 fraternity members were drinking and partying with
a bunch of strippers, she got a model release from _EVERYBODY_.

boggles the mind. but if you wanna be a pro, i suppose you gotta act like
one.....

kc