Subject: Re: [Leica] Recommended books for Macro photography
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 16:32:57 -0400

At 04:42 PM 5/19/2001 +1000, Tony Salce wrote:
>This is not strictly a leica question however I will ask it anyway. I have a
>Leicaflex SL and a 50 mm Summicron. I wish to do macro photography. I
>understand that I would have to purchase the 60mm Macro Elmarit in order to
>do Macro work. Are there any accesories one could use with the Summicron to
>do some close up work without purchasing the Macro Elmarit ? Are there any
>books you recommend to get some insight into macro photography ?

There are a slew of macro lenses floating about -- these include the
Leitz/Leica Photars, the Leitz Micro-Summars, Milars, and the Repro-Summar,
the Zeiss Luminars and Micro-Tessars, the Jena Mikrotars, and the B&L
Micro-Tessars:  other manufacturers have made these as well.  In general,
these are flat-field microscope objectives which can be used as photo
objectives.  Most have the RMS thread (the "Royal Screw") and adapters are
wide-spread to fit these puppies to the Leitz Bellows for either the 'Flex
or Viso rigs, as well as for MF work on Hasselblad or Rolleiflex SL66.

The prices will range from $30 or $40 for a B&L Micro-Tessar or Leitz
Micro-Summar to $750 or more for one of the rarer Photars or Luminars.  I
believe the necessary adapter to fit the RMS to the Leicaflex Bellows,
14259, is still available from Leica.

A highly prized resource for this sort of work is the 15th edition of
Morgan and Morgan, THE LEICA MANUAL, which discusses photomicrography in
some detail.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!