Subject: RE: [Leica] Recommended books for Macro photography
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 06:48:27 -0400 (EDT)

- ------Original Message------
From: "Tony Salce" <NadinaTony@bigpond.com>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Sent: May 19, 2001 6:42:24 AM GMT

This is not strictly a leica question however I will ask it anyway. I have a
Leicaflex SL and a 50 mm Summicron. I wish to do macro photography. I
understand that I would have to purchase the 60mm Macro Elmarit in order to
do Macro work. Are there any accesories one could use with the Summicron to
do some close up work without purchasing the Macro Elmarit ? Are there any
books you recommend to get some insight into macro photography ?

Kind Regards,

Tony Salce
<<<

Tony,

For equipment, you can use ELPRO close-up lenses, extension tubes and
bellows.  The 50mm Summicron-R should work well at medium to small
apertures.  If you're using natural light you may have trouble with short
working distances, and your shadow landing on your subject.  A tripod with
focussing rail may be handy (or essential) and practicing the SL mirror
pre-fire trick will come in handy.

With ELPRO supplementary lenses the SL's meter will work as normal, but
metering with extension tubes or bellows will be at working aperture.  The
3-part extension rings will give you a reasonably good choice of
magnification ratios if you don't mind working with the aperture pre-release
feature.  Another extension tube is the modified 14256 as described on my
web page reviewing the 60mm macro lens.  An unmodified 14256 cannot be used
on the SL.

see:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/SL.HTM

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/60R28.HTM