Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Re: quality control
From: Paul Chefurka <chefurka@home.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 22:31:29 -0400

On Fri, 18 May 2001 19:40:32 -0500, Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com wrote:

>Jim,
>
>I haven't had a single failure either, I simply was not satistisfied with
>the quality of the lenses.
>
>Would they have taken good pictures? Absolutely.
>
>If you didn't mind loose aperture rings, lack of proper lubrication to the
>focusing elements, oil residue on inner elements, and debris and dust mites
>crawling around inside the lens, they were absolutely great.
>
>How much of this equipment did you buy in the last year? I can only comment
>on recently made products that I have bought.

My record has been pretty good.  In the last year I've bought a whole
raft of current lenses (7 at last count), two M6 bodies and a motor.
Of the whole bunch, only one lens had a problem.  The aperture ring of
the Tri-Elmar loosened up after about 3 months to the point where I
was worried about it slipping during shooting.  It took three weeks at
Lisle-Kelco, but it's back now.  Everything else has been flawless.

Sounds like you ran afoul of Murphy's law.

Paul