Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: quality control
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:43:04 -0700

Since 1974, here is a list of Leitz/Leica equipment that I have purchased
and used heavily over the years:

Leica CL, 40 & 90 lenses
(2) R3 MOT bodies with motors
(2) R4sP bodies with winders
(1) R6 body and winder
(3) R7 bodies
15mm Super Elmar-R
21mm Elmarit-R
24mm Elmarit-R
28mm PC SA-R
35mm Summicron-R
35mm PC Curtagon-R
50mm Summicron-R
60mm Elmarit series 8
60mm Elmarit E55
90mm Summicron-R
100mm APO Elmarit-R
135mm Elmarit-R
180mm APO Telyt-R
180mm Elmarit-R
250mm f/4 Telyt-R
280mm APO Elmarit-R
350mm Telyt-R
35-70 E60
35-70 E67
70-180 APO Elmarit-R
(2) 70-210 f/4
(2) M6 Classic .72
24mm ASPH
35mm Summilux ASPH
50mm Summilux-M
75mm Summilux-M
90mm Elmarit-M
V35, color, Focotar WA 40mm

I am sure that I have left out something. But the point is that I have
NEVER had anything wrong with any of this equipment that was not my own
doing. The only pieces that have ever seen Leica service are the 135 for
dripped ice cream in the f/stop mechanism. The E60 35-70 for being whacked
while in a back pack. The black M6 for vertical RF alignment after being
dropped while in a bag. I now adjust the RF myself as I have whacked my
chrome M6 as well (while in a bag.)

Other than that, there have been no failures. Am I just extraordinarily lucky?

No.

I think this is the norm.

Other than Ted's very first R8's, I suspect Ted's laundry list is longer
than this and with the same "luck." That is, nothing arriving DOA or out of
kilter.

I'm driving a brand new BMW (1500 miles) as a loaner while I'm having mine
serviced. The front passenger window won't go up if you put it down. It
requires someone to keep it straight and assist the motor to get it up.

Everything made by man is going to have a certain failure rate. Sometimes
right out of the box, like this BMW.

Jim