Subject: Re: [Leica] Useful discussion or black tape?
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:28:34 -0500

SonC, stepping up onto the soapbox:
Harold,
These diverse topics are important to the people who post
them.  This may be the only place some people have for Leica
networking, getting information about Leica photography, and
yes, which black tape to use, or how to successfully make a
cat black.

Some are here for companionship, but all are here because
LUG fills a need.  If B.D or Johnny or Oddman leaves, so be
it.  They'll be missed, but someday, we all will go, and
guess what?  Others will arrive.

It IS a shame when personalities clash, and sometimes people
are offended when no harm was meant.  As I've noted before,
people get rash and post objections before following the
thread out or even before reading an entire post.  Then
there are "Bosses of the Leica Users Group" who, because
they own more, or can buy more with a flick of the plastic
who belittle the guy who has a simple question.

I'll tell you right now that the endless drone of the
virtues of one kind of developer or another kind of fix send
me right up a wall.  But I endure that stuff, so easily
learned from the bottle label, because there may be a gem of
knowledge I don't know.

I don't need a filtering device; my delete key works nicely;
that said, the more colorful and interesting posts are those
about camera bags and black tape and cats.  That's where
some of our zanier posters shine.  I want to be entertained
while I learn.  And I DO learn here.

> Jim Brick wrote
>
> > So what do you have in mind that the LUG should discuss
instead ???

> > Bags ?
> >
> > R vs M ?

Harold replied:

> I would have thought that the Luggers' photographs, their
recent or
> less-recent journeys involving photography, useful
discussion of Leica and
> other interesting equipment, ethics, ways of looking at
photography, etc.
> would be a good start.
>
> My objection to the black tape discussion was based more
on the fact that
> each of these 'discussions' around black tape, konica
isn't a Leica, my bag
> is bigger/smaller than yours, etc. can be guaranteed to
generate huge
> volumes of messages which obscure the gems that are to be
found by trawling
> through the 'noise'.
>
> Strangely it is often the case that something like black
tape can generate
> 30 or more messages, most of which descend into bashing
the individual while
> the interesting stuff generates one or two messages and
then dries up.

> Maybe this group is just meant to be for discussing black
tape, my bag is
> bigger than yours, who's right Puts or Gandy, etc, etc ad
infinitum. Maybe
> that's why interesting people like Johnny or Oddmund
choose to leave.

> I mean God forbid that we should actually discuss anything
nearing the
> sociology or politics of image-making. If we are incapable
of having a
> sensible 'discussion' about black tape I hardly think an
academic debate of

Message from Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com> ([Leica] Re: Black tape flavours?)
Message from "Harold Gess" <Harold.Gess@btinternet.com> ([Leica] Useful discussion or black tape?)