Subject: [Leica] Camera Recognition (On the Black Tape Topic)
From: "Douglas Landrum" <dflandrum@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 22:31:48 -0700

The Leica camera, R or M, is the most unimpressive camera, with whatever
lens, in present production.

That is - to the world of those that don't know otherwise.

The general public knowledge is that the top makes are Canon and Nikon.
Leica, Contax, Hassey, Rollei and other brands are just not on the radar
scope.

There is no reason to hide your Leica from view.  Leicas impress nobody --
other than other Leica users and a very few Nikon and Canon owners that have
heard of the legendary Leica and wonder if the legends are true.

As I have traveled in Europe, North America and Asia, I have learned that
there is no reason to worry about a thief zoning in on a Leica as something
special.  A Nikon or Canon kit is much more vulnerable to being recognized
as being "expensive".  Even the most up to date and expensive Leica gear, R
or M, looks like antique stuff next to the plastic "melted chocolate bar"
design of the Nikon and Canon stuff.

In LA - the location of the soon to be legendary in its own time (or mind)
LA LUG - the most vulnerable cars to theft are Honda Accords and the Toyota
Camry's.  No one would think about stealing my 18 year old Mercedes Benz
300D.

I submit that the most vulnerable cameras to theft are the Canon EOS 3 and
the Nikon F100 - not my Rs or Ms (unless I exhibit my R attached to the
400mm Telyt with pistol grip -- which all photographic militia members covet
for its assault camera look.)

My only recent experience of "Leica recognition" occurred about two years
ago when a WWII generation gentleman accosted me, as I was sporting a brand
new R7, with the statement, "Leica, Eh, when did they stop making those
things?"

{Secret Note to those in the North: Yes, I know that I am the person that
has caused global warming, the extinction of salmon, the move of the Boeing
headquarters to Chicago, all blackouts, the Mt. St. Helens explosion, the
New Delhi monkey man attacks and all other nonsensical harm in the world --
just by living in southern California and driving a diesel car.  So, I have
heavy guilt - but as we say in Orange County - Bitchen'.}

Keep on shooting y'all.

Doug

Douglas F. Landrum
Laguna Beach, California