Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V20 #14
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 23:54:48 -0700

Jim, I hate to be a spoil-sport, but if you go to
http://www.rapidwinder.com/, you will see several pictures of Tom holding a
black-taped black Leica.   :-)

When I went to Italy, I did cover the words "Leica," "Leitz," and "M4-P"
and the Red Dot on my camera with black tape.  My rationale was that it's
just a little less obtrusive.  Also, many people have at least heard the
name Leica and associate it with "very expensive."  I didn't want hotel
people, waiters and taxi drivers to assume I was some super-rich dude they
could overcharge accordingly.  As for thieves, most probably won't know a
Leica from a videocam, but like chicken soup, the black tape couldn't hurt
in this case.

People who know cameras will recognize a Leica anyway--I had one American
and two French people start a conversation when they saw I had one.  In
each case they were interested in photography, and delightful conversations
ensued.

To tell you the truth, my light meter attracted a lot more attention than
my camera.  Hardly any lay person knows what a light meter is any
more.  Several times people looked at me quizzically and asked what I was
doing when I whipped out the Luna Pro Digital.  One even assumed I'd taken
the picture when I put the meter back in my pocket and stepped right into
my line of sight as I raised my camera, then got all confused.

In fact, several people asked me if I was a professional photographer, and
I think it was the meter, not the Leica that made them ask.  So maybe a
Luna Pro Digital is the real babe magnet, not a Leica (although Freud might
have something to say about Ted's Noctilux...)

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Leica & black tape.)