Subject: RE: [Leica] an ethical question....
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 21:33:31 -0400

> I shot several weddings with just such a contract, Austin.

You were lucky I wasn't at any of them!  Did the B&G understand what it was
they were signing?  I can understand having a contract that says you are the
only "professional" photographer, or that you take precedence over the
videographer or something like that, but I obviously believe it is not your
place to attempt to prohibit guests from taking pictures!  It's their event
too!

> But i still wanted help restraining the immediate paparazzo
> during the formal session.

I completely understand about that!  I would in no way interfere with formal
pictures.

> If the invitation says don't bring a camera then they don't bring
> a camera.

That's a different story, then not being told beforehand.  At least if I am
told beforehand, I can call the couple and tell them.... (well, use your
imagination ;-) and the choice is mine wither to go or not...but being told
WHEN I am there, is really not right.

BTW, why, on earth, did you feel you needed to have such a contract?  I did
weldings for years, and it never occurred to me to do such a thing, and our
studio also had two full time welding photographers, and never a complaint
was made from them about others at the weldings taking pictures.

I've also been to probably 100 weldings in my life, a number of them my own,
mind you, and never have I ever been told not to take photographs.  I ALWAYS
bring a camera with me where ever I go.  Only once in my life was I told not
to take pictures, inside a Jordan Marsh (Macy's now)...we got chased around
by the security guards...that's a whole story unto it self...needless to
say, we had a LOT of pictures of them by the time we were through ;-)

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] an ethical question....)
Reply from Ron Schwarz <rs@clubvb.com> (Re: [Leica] an ethical question....)