Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica/photographing birds
From: Douglas Herr <>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 14:01:09 -0400 (EDT)

- ------Original Message------
From: "tm" <>
Sent: May 16, 2001 5:27:10 PM GMT

Thanks for your response, Doug! Do you think it would be safe to leave the
R8 set at matrix metering while photographing the birds if they are in
trees? I almost always use that setting and get brilliant results, but I
usually photograph in evenly lit places.

The day I used the R8, I used it in manual exposure/spot pattern.  While
photographing Black Oystercatchers, I tried auto/matrix but the meter was
fooled by the constantly changing backgrounds as waves washed over the
rocks.  I didn't want the meter to consider the background, just the bird,
so I switched to manual/spot.  The R8 is a natural in this mode, and I've
been using the SL's spot meter for 20+ years so I was completely comfortable
with it.  I suspect that with birds in a tree you'll have spots of sky
showing through leaves, so you may run in to a similar situation.

Dave - I'll shut up now :)

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento