Subject: RE: [Leica] Konica Correction
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:21:13 +0100

Dante A. Stella wrote:

"Erwin has (at least to me) clarified his statements on tolerances, and I
apologize to Erwin for any misunderstanding this may have caused.  The
nominal tolerances are, as he described them to me,

27.80 +/- 0.01 (i.e. 27.79 to 27.81)
vs.
28.00 +/- 0.03 (i.e. 27.97 to 28.03)

So that answers any questions I have about the relative ranges, overlap,
etc."
[snip]
"I am suspicious of the German Konica explanation because if the
tolerances were evenly distributed, and this kind of difference would
mean noticeable degradation, a lot more people here should be
complaining about it from practical experience (as in ALL of them).  I
am also suspicious of figures from Konica service because in the U.S.
they are noticeably agnostic about product specs."
[snip]

I'm chasing Konica for a statement on this whole back focus issue, because
obviously if Erwin's correct then there's a story in this that will be of
interest to a number of editors I know.

Whore that I am, I was never one to pass up the chance of a few quid for a
story (though obviously the excellent dinner I will owe Erwin will take most
of the profit).

I'll report back as soon as I have anything.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk