Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Konica Users Experience about Leica lens incompatibility
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 21:11:53 -0400

I've tested my Hexar RF (serial no. 1450***) quite thoroughly (tripod, tape
measure, newsprint, ruler at 45 degree angle, several rolls of velvia and
provia 100, etc.) with the following Leica lenses: 35/1.4 asph, 50/2,
75/1.4--all current production models (yes, I went bonkers with this, but it
was fun playing Erwin for a couple weeks).

While it is true that all of my lenses misfocus (closer than apparent RF
focus by an inch or so) wide open and min. focus on my Hexar, it is also
true that:

1. The 75 misfocuses on my M6 as well (under same conditions);

2. The rangefinder decouples at the last 1/8 inch of the throw toward
nearest distance (roughly from about .8 meters to .7 meters (the min.
specified focusing distance for all three lenses);

3. All three lenses actually focus _closer_ than the min. spec.
distance--although the 35 and 50 manage to do so accurately on my .72x M6
TTL;

4. All three lenses focus quite accurately* from .8 meters to infinity.

*Note: I didn't measure lpm resolution (don't know how to--I leave this part
to Erwin!): just checked very fine print and other details under a loupe.

Dan