Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica lens coatings
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:50:33 -0600

If all that has ever touched the lens is lens tissue then the glass is not
scratched just the coating. Send the lens off to your favourite lens coating
expert and you will soon have a pristine lens again. Leica's lens coatings
from that period were notoriously soft as they were almost literally
"painted" or "dripped" on. There are numerous accounts in the archives on
how much and where so have a look there first.

Cheers,

John Collier

PS: Leica lens coatings today are very hard and UV filters are only required
for psychological reasons (which are just as valid as any other) unless you
photograph in extreme conditions (yes, a birthday party for any two year old
is indeed an extreme condition and requires union photographers to receive
an extra hourly premium for danger pay). I do not use them anymore but my
little guy is now three.