Subject: [Leica] Re: what about the Ilford SFX
From: David Prakel <dgp@btconnect.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 02:42:03 +0100

on 8/5/2001 10:54 pm, Pablo Kolodny at
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us wrote:

> Maybe I lost that train...and you'll be so kind to let me get on board...
>
> I have used that film a couple of times. Used Ilfotec 1+31 as manufacturer
> directed.
> Filters on lens: IR, Red, Orange...results ? Very nice grain and shadow
> details, I liked the contrast also but could not achieve any infra red tone
> in spite of its declare "extended range"
>
> Did anybody get some extended results ? How ?

Hi Pablo

I've only used SFX with a 25 Red filter developed in D-76 stock solution.
The results were slightly grainy but showed some of the white foliage/darker
skies. The effect is nothing like true IR film but you can see a difference
with sun/no sun. I was given a brick of out dated SFX which carried a
warning sticker from Ilford that the old film should be rated at 100 rather
than EI 200. I gather that as the film ages it loses its far red sensitivity
first. If you want to see the effect I was getting try my old web site
(which should still be up but don't tell roadrunner!) - try
http://home.rochester.rr.com/prakel/exhibition/galdet5b.htm

Regards
David Prakel