Subject: [Leica] Re: B&W photography in "Jazz"
From: DavidS8451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:39:44 EST

Adam
When I was in New Orleans in December I had the opportunity to visit with one
of the great jazz photographers featured in this week's "Jazz" programs --
Herman Leonard.  A friend of mine was rushing to purchase some prints from
Herman before the "Jazz" program aired and the limited editions sold out.  We
went spent the afternoon at Herman's house looking at lots of his images.  He
showed me his darkroom, as I've started doing my own B&W developing and
printing, and he let me take pictures of him with my M4 and 50 Summilux ("I
always wanted a Leica, but I could never afford one.")  It was truly a great
experience for me!  I've printed a few portraits of him with which I'm very
pleased, but I don't have a way to scan my photos at the moment.

His monumental images of the jazz greats from the 40's onward were mostly 4 x
5's made with Speed Graphics.  See his website at:

http://www.leonardjazz.com/

All the best,
Dave Schaller
Newton, MA

I've been enjoying the B&W photography in Ken Burn's "Jazz" that has been

airing recently. Many exciting images.

Adam