Subject: Re: [Leica] BE AWARE OF CRAPPY CURRENT LEICA QUALITY CONTROLS!!!!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 09:45:41 -0700

"Barney Quinn, Jr." wrote:

> Usually I just lurk, but I find myself in a situation where I want ( I hesitate
> to say need :-) )to get a different SLR. Last year, as a creative journey I
> wanted to take, I traded my EOS 1n for an all but unused F1. The journey lead me
> back to my M6, but I'll save the details for another post should anyone be
> interested.
>
> I have things narrowed down to an R8, an F3 which comes with some great
> glassware, or a new EOS body with a 28 to 70 f2.8  L lens. I need an SLR because
> I do a lot of close ups of flowers. (I've heard, by the way, that the Leica 60mm
> macro is a hell of a lens.) Metering is a key issue for me. I believe that
> photography is really paining and writing with light, and I do a lot of work in
> tough lighting situations. A great deal of my stuff is back lit.
>
> What am I getting into if I get the R8 and the 28 to 80 mm zoom. One of the best
> cameras in the world? Or a piece of overpriced jewelry not made in Germany by a
> company who can do nothing right and who is on the verge of going out of
> business equipped with a with a Sigma lens that only someone with more money
> than brains would buy all of which will brand me as an idiot who can't manage
> his money when he is seen in public with it?
>
> Barney
IF the choice now was between an R8, and F3 or a EOS I'd pick the R8.
Evertying about that camera empathizes FUNCTION following form seamlessly.
I don't think John Robie The Cat will be after your particular necklace he's
looking for trinkets more pocketable.
I hope you get some real use out of it before you trade it in for something else!

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA
http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/