Subject: Leica photography (was: [Leica] Re: leica lens cleaning tissues)
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@ifrance.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:47:16 +0200

Dim 29 avr 2001 22:45:22 -0700
"Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org> a écrit:

> No, it's merely Oddmund plying his agenda again. He has no
> concept of a dedicated list's function, or, if he does, he chooses to
> ignore it for the pursuit of his causes.
(...)
> Please take your 'Attac' issues off list, Oddmund.

What is wrong with privileging "green solutions"?

I will certrainly not go into any discussion about facts and analyses that
are now supported by a huge majority of scientists all over the world. The
fact that man produced global heating is rejected by the petroleum lobby,
the Bush II administration and a tiny clan of obseqious "scientists" is
rather pitiful, but that is another discussion.

You are right, this is a Leica list - I never had any problems with that.
pointed out out that a chamois-type lens cleaning cloth is a good
solution, and I mentioned a microfibre cloth I once bought at La Maison du
Leica in Paris. This has the advantage (compared to other "modern"
industrial products) of being solid and useable year after year, but the
production of such items is problematic today.

Commenting "OT issues" is a waste of time, so I usually avoid that. Such
comments often generates meta discussions, which might be entertaining,
but not very constructive.

Commenting world topics on a Leica list is inevitable, and NOT off topic.
The work of great Leica photographers was and is closely connected to
human life and the social, economic and political state of the world. The
Leica camera didn't become famous through insect photography (macro), or
by images of landscapes, or by academic still life. The Leica camera and
the kind of photography that this tiny and simple tool generated was and
is political. Simple documentary is political. This has nothing to do with
"agenda".

Go to the Magnum archives. Go to the libraries and take a look in the
books of famous Leica photographers. Go to an exhibition of the most
prominent Leica photojournalist today, Sebastião Salgado. You will find
politics ("agenda") all over. Any intelligent reflection about human life
and state becomes political sooner or later. Leica photography is a
generous subject. Let us keep it that way.

Oddmund Garvik

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: Leica photography (was: [Leica] Re: leica lens cleaning tissues))
Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: Leica photography (was: [Leica] Re: leica lens cleaning tissues))