Subject: [Leica] Hoods
From: "Chris Quinn" <cquinn@mail.sjcsf.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:01:09 -0600

Tristan:

you wrote:

>is a hood really going to make a big difference? I'm thinking about
>foregoing the hood...

I just got a hood for my 28, which I carried and shot for a year without.
Now I won't be without one.

My carry technique is to sling the camera on a normal length strap over my
right shoulder, camera on right hip, lens out, and keep the camera in front
of my arm by resting the right side of the lens against my wrist  (I don't
swing my arm when I carry it this way). If you've got an ever-ready case, or
carry the camera resting on your belly, then the shade may not be as
important, but I'm finding the shade is like having a transparent lens-cap
(note I did not say 'UV filter') on the lens, as it protects that front
element, without the frustration of having to take the damn thing off to get
a shot, and it also, of course, protects against flare (when I do shoot
outside). If I need to move quickly or want to keep the camera from
swinging, I can simply press the inside of my forearm against the hood and
trap the camera against my hip without leaving a nice forearm print on the
front element.

Yes, it's big, and yes, it changes the shape of the lens and makes it look
bigger, but if you're someone who, like myself, wants a tool and doesn't
want to obsess about always protecting that front element, the hood has
proven itself to be a valuable item, with a few caveats.

Hope this helps.