Subject: foot in mouth (was: Re: [Leica] Hey.....HEY YOURSELF)
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 27 Apr 2001 11:29:05 -0700

On Fri, 27 April 2001, someone wrote:

> "Sexist behaviour"?
> Lea, may I be first to apologise for this rude person, who
> not only is unable to write a charmant 'hello' to someone
> new on this group, but also unable to appreciate woman
> when he meets her... Probably an American; I heard they
> cannot invite a woman on lunch without getting sued! :-)
> But I can assure you it is an exception. We are not only
> independent souls but also wise and gay ones, as you will
> see in future.
> Be welcome !!! And lot of light to you !!!!!!!

This writer (you know who you are) really put his foot in his mouth this time.  John Collier, one of the LUG's shining lights, is Canadian, not American, and the meaning of the word "gay" has changed in the last 30 years.  In reference to present culture it no longer means "joyous and lively" (Webster's New World Dictionary).

In North America it is not considered rude for men to treat women with respect.

Lea, welcome to the group.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com