Subject: Re: [Leica] Film Demise
From: "mdelman" <mdelman@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 06:39:15 -0400

John:

You're right, you can get players for many of these.  Whether that is true
in 30 years remains to be seen.
However, the point I was making is that you'll need to exert alot of energy
and time to convert from format to format.  You can buy "older" technology
players, but it becomes increasingly hard to find these and they are
expensive because they are now specialty items, not mass market ones.

By the way, I left a format off the list.  MP3 digital music.  I bought a
Nomad player 1 year ago.  It's obsolete.  I bought a Personal Jukebox player
that holds 150 cd's in MP3 format in December '00. It cost over $600 and
took a long time to copy 50 cd's from my collection and put it onto the
player.  Guess what!  A company called Dataplay has just announced a digital
storage device (like a mini cd) that costs $6 and holds about 8 cd's.  That
is a far less expensive way to hold music than the Jukebox I just bought.
Bottom line.... my Jukebox is less than a year old and is clearly on the
road to extinction.

- -Mark