Subject: RE: [Leica] Film Demise
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 21:18:37 -0400

> Though a 35mm negative contains more data than digital cameras can even
> dream of,

Not really...

At 5080DPI I run out of (or into as the case may be ;-) grain on most any
film that is ~160 ASA and above...  Since you have to sample (scan) at
'slightly more than' 2x the frequency you want to get, that would be ((1 x
(.5 x 5080)) x (1.5 x (.5 x 5080))) or ~9M pixels.  This is not taking into
consideration B&W or color, that is a topic all unto it self.

There are many other issues, such as the randomness of film grains, and the
uniformity of digital sensors...that weigh in here, but I believe the above
shows, as well as the current crop of high end digital cameras does too,
that very good digital imaging is on the near horizon.  I do not believe
that spells the demise of film, BTW.

Replies: Reply from "mdelman" <mdelman@rochester.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Film Demise)