Subject: Re: [Leica] The Nikon FM
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:04:09 -0500

>> Has the original FM ever failed anyone who used it with respect? It's about
>> as close to a sure thing as you're going to find in this world.
>
> None of mine (I'd have several) have ever failed me in many years of
> usage.  Never.  I even poked my thumb clear through the shutter curtain
> and pushed it back into place with the tip of a ballpoint pen, and it's
> still working flawlessly to this day.  This is a current FM2N.  One of the
> best cameras ever made IMHO, simply because I don't even have to think
> about it when I use it.  Just shoot and don't worry about anything.  That
> said, I rarely use it now.  It goes in cycles; I'll pick it up again in a
> month and use it for several weeks, only to let it sit idle again.
>
> FM2N plus cheesy plasticy 50/1.8: you can't go too wrong (IMHO).
> Strangely enough, some of my best shots have come from that combination.
>
> --Andrew
> NO ARCHIVE

I know that the LUG will not want to hear this, but I still have Nikons
bought as long ago as 30 years, from F's, F2, FM2N, F3 that have never let
me down and have never even had a CLA--still work perfect--in contrast to my
M's which seem to be more delicate and need service from time to time. I
love my M's, but the Nikons will easily outlast me.

Steve
Annapolis