Subject: Re: [Leica] What - 30 sec ?/Technique
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:13:10 -0500

>>I have been successful at holding 1 sec with Leicas ever since I started
>>with a IIIg in 1957.  The secret is in the breathing and the use of support
>>obtained from leaning against a frame or at least using bone support rather
>>than muscle support.   Now, I carry a bean bag that my wife made for me.
>>They work great whether against a vertical frame or a horizontal plane.
>>
>>Highly recommended.
>>
> Roland,
>
> I'll get a bean bag. For longer exposures I have tried to brace the
> camera directly against a wall or a window frame or a car or
> something, but that limits the angle at which you can shoot. With a
> bean bag that should be no problem any more. These long exposure
> shots are well worth a try, the only thing one might lose is a few
> negatives. For me fast exposures are 125th and shorter, and long
> exposures start at 1/8 or even 1/4. 1/15th is certainly normal for me.
>
> Chris

This is my technique for hand held long exposures; With the camera strap
shortened down and over your shoulder so that when you raise it to your eye
it is a very tight fit getting it to your face so that you have to pull the
camera away from your face to get your eye to the viewfinder. You will find
by doing this you have actually created a tripod with the strap, your
shoulder and your head, the camera gets locked in place. You may have to
adjust the strap a few times to get it just right. No bean bags needed even
for 1 second +.

Steve
Annapolis