Subject: RE: [Leica] R series
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:02:30 -0400

Simon,

> I presume you are referring to the N1.  Whilst this does have AF it is not
> permanent AF in that the AF/MF can be achieved by simply turninng the
> focussing ring.  It works amazingly well and will certainly appeal to MF
> devotees who may sometimes see the need for AF but prefer full-time MF
> capabilities, or those whose eyesight may be failing!

I'm happy to hear a good report on this camera.  I was tempted by it, but
when I checked it out at the camera store, I had much the same reaction Mark
Rabiner had: uninspired.  The AF lenses have the same plasticy feel and
short focus throw as all other AF lenses, and there just isn't enough
contrast on the focus screen for me to discern accurate focus manually.  The
build quality of the lenses for the RTS III and Leica R8 and the view
through their finders felt so much more inspiring by comparison.  All highly
subjective, and obviously just my opinion.

I have to hand it to Contax in this regard: the ability to quickly switch
between AF/MF (ala Canon USM and CF4) is a big plus, as is the option to use
their medium format lenses on the 35 slr body, and the option LCD finder
that has a monochrome option for previewing b&w shots.  Very, very
thoughtful features.

Regards,
Dan

Replies: Reply from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] R series)