Subject: Re: Too much: was Re: [Leica] europe on 1 roll a day
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:06:12 -0700

Dante A. Stella wrote:
> photographed everything I saw as even conceivably photogenic and I shot
far,
> far less film.  On trips of this length, I usually take 8 rolls of Supra
400
> (or in the past, PMC) and 24 rolls of TX120 (at 15 exposures each).
That's
> 360 + 288, or 648 frames.  This, in my experience, has provided ample
> opportunity to:
>
> o    Shoot color duplicates of black and white shots taken in 120 as well
as
> different angles
>
> o    Do realistic and calculated bracketing with the medium format camera
>
> o    Take plenty of color pictures of my girlfriend in front of things.
>
> o    Take plenty of people "grab shots."<<<<<<<,

Hi Dante,

But your not working it as it sounds like you are "holiday shooting" and not
producing stock images for a photo agency, doing a documentary or material
for a book or magazine assignment.

In the case of those of us who are working when we go overseas on shoots,
film is the cheapest commodity of all the expenses and it's always been my
one fear of running out of film no matter what country. So I'm usually, lets
say on a 21 day shoot, carrying 210 rolls of film because the budget for any
shoot anywhere I've ever gone on, even here in Canada or the USA, where film
is readily available, is a minimum of 10 rolls a day on average.

And putting that through usually 3 M type cameras and 3 R type cameras.Sure
some days it's only a couple of rolls and the next can be 40 rolls! And yes
36 exposures all.

> Don't make a photo that anyone can duplicate (or better) by buying a
> Kodachrome postcard from a street vendor.<<<<<

I believe the working folks always try just what you say, do it different
and better.  But I buy the street vendor cards for locations and place
references as research material, we save countless hours of roaming and
looking.  Not that we don't do that also, as it never fails a new set of
eyes see's the countryside or city in a completely different perspective.

And even though we buy the postcards we never copy the same picture, but use
it to give us an idea of the possibilities at the location. Another good
idea for travelers is to take one of the bus tours of the location where you
want to shoot and do this complete with a well detailed map and compass.

Again this is a great time saver as you have a quick and unburdened trip
without fear of driving or where to park. Besides you can't do honest
research and drive the car at the same time, as you never see the details
and or are dodging the local crazy drivers! ;-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu> (Re: Too much: was Re: [Leica] europe on 1 roll a day)