Subject: Re: [Leica] 'Russian' Leica-fit lenses
From: "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:43:49 +0200

> A couple of weeks ago, you commented on the jupiter 12
> lenses.  Just after that, I purchased a Jupiter 8, black f2
> 50mm.  The lens seems to be quite sharp and smooth to
> operate.
>
> The one issue I run into after so many years with other
> lenses is the diaphragm setting that rotates with the front
> of the lens when I focus.
>
> You noted in your discussion of the Jup. 12 that it has an
> "awkward" diaphragm setting.   My question, (finally)  . . .
> Do all Jupiter lenses rotate their aperture setting?

No. Jupiter 8 (2/50) rotates aperture setting, so early
(black) versions had two diaphragm scales, on two sides
of aperture ring, to make adjusting aperture simpler.

Jupiter 12 (2.8/35) also rotates whole front part, but
it is a issue with a lens from which this one was copied
from (Zeiss Biogon 2.8/35), so blame Zeiss for this.
Or blame Canada, which is very popular both among Leica
collectors and South Park watchers.. :)

Industar 22 (3.5/50) also rotates whole front part,
just like Elmar 3.5/50, its earlier brother.

Jupiter 3 (1.5/50) does not rotate front element as far
as I remember (Michael can probably assure you on this).

Jupiter 9 (2/85) does not rotate front element in majority
of versions, but M42/Pentax thread version does...
One of earliest though... Also Jupiter 11 (4/135) does
not rotate front part in all three versions I saw.

About optical difference between Elmar 4/90 and
Jupiter 9 (2/85); all have some advantages each over
other:

Elmar 4/90:
+ Tessar-like construction, so center of FOV is sharp
  from wide open up and corners good at f/8, but corners
  never are really sharp
+ Very little flare and very good contrast (we are speaking
  about postwar coated version)
+ Small! and light, but front element rotates!

Jupiter 9 (2/85):
+ Two stops brighter!!!
+ Sonnar construction, considerably flare-free, with nearly
  constant sharpness across whole field (OK, corners ARE
  worse, but much less so than with Elmar). But somewhat
  uncontrasty (NOT soft!) wide open, good from f/2.8
  and very good at f/5.6
+ Heavy! Big! But looks cool, too................

Both lenses have their own merits; you just should
use whatever suits you... BTW; my favourite lens
(and sharpest one!) is Jupiter 12 (2.8/35). Is even
a tad sharper than Summitar at all f/stops. Not bat for
ancient Zeiss Biogon design! :-)

- -----
                                St.
                     (Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy)
              http://www.geocities.com/Stanislaw_Stawowy
            Echelon/Carnivore lines: Bob Black, Hakim Bey,
           Ralph Klein, Sabotage in the American Workplace

Message from "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net> (Re: [Leica] 'Russian' Leica-fit lenses)
Message from "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <cartersn@nsula.edu> (Re: [Leica] 'Russian' Leica-fit lenses)