Subject: RE: [Leica] Intro and questions
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:47:27 -0400

Welcome John!

	Many people on this list use and are enthusiastic about the Leica
CL.  I am the contrarian.  I find the camera too small for my hands.  You
cannot accurately focus all lenses, especially lenses faster than f2.0 for
wide angles and faster than f4.0 for telephotos.  I find that the front
mounted shutter speed dial to be accident prone and easy to ding up.  Worst
of all, Leica used too brittle an adhesive to attach the meter cell to its
stalk, and over the five years I owned a CL, at least three times the cell
fell off and twice jammed the shutter.  These shutter jams resulted in
relatively expensive repairs.

	That said, the two lenses made specifically for the CL, the 40mm
Summicron-C and the f4.0/90 Elmar-C are both great lenses...I especially
miss the forty.  As I said, many list members love the CL...it is compact
and pocketable...but I would be cautious about using one as your primary
body.  I am not sure of relative prices, and whether or not you are
committed to an in-board meter, but you may want to hold your fire until you
can pick up a user M6 with its meter or, for a whole lot less money (?) than
an M6, an ugly user of the M4, M4-2 vintage if you can do without the meter.
I never used a 35 Summicron with the CL, but if you buy the CL, I would
search out the forty Summicron anyway because it is close enough to 35mm,
and the CL has frame lines for the 40 but not for 35.

	If you need the meter and are of very limited funds, the CL will get
you into Leica at a relatively low cost.  However, I predict that you will
pretty soon want to own an M series body anyway and might just as well spend
the extra money up front.  Good luck with your decision.

	Buzz Hausner