Subject: [Leica] Re: Resolution vs. contrast memories
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:49:33 EDT

The contrast vs. resolution thread (still yet again) brings back long
suppressed memories. In the 1950's, after my obligitory stint in Korea, I
spent a couple of years at RCA working on value implementation of commercial
television. This simply meant cutting the costs of the TV set enough so that
RCA could make sufficient profits to satisfy both Elvis Presley and the
stockholders. The design engineers had produced the Model 630 set with 30
tubes that was intended to squeeze every last photon of quality of of the
broadcast signal. All aspects of the picture, size, linearity, contrast, grey
scale, and resolution could be adjusted. The set cost a fortune to make. If
you are my age you will remember that a 19" screen B&W TV in a coffin shaped
cabinet sold for over $1000.

Our consumer testing showed that all this complexity was unnecessary and
worked against market acceptance. A high tube count meant frequent repair
visits for tube burnouts and the many  controls meant even more frequent
visits when Junior played "space pilot" with the adjustments. The public
preferred a bright, high contrast picture. Consumer panels judged brighter
more contrasty pictures to be "sharper" and of higher quality than higher
resolution pictures with full grey scales. Not much else mattered. The
adjustment controls and the quality enhancing circuits beloved by the design
engineers could be eliminated without influencing consumer acceptance.  Costs
tumbled and sales soared. We set the stage for the "vast wasteland" that TV
has become.

Now substitute photography for TV. To paraphrase P.T. Barnum, "No
manufacturer ever went broke underestimating the taste of the photographic
public." I'm sure camera manufacturers (including Leica) and film makers
conducted tests similar to those that we ran and/or read the reported results
of these tests in the IEEE journals. Except for a few cranks the general
public neither wants nor values high resolution large sized photos. The
largest selling category of cameras is P&S, soon to be overtaken by digital
cheapies, and the modal enlargement size is 4"x6". In my next trip to the
Smithsonian Museum I expect to see a Leica M3 in an exhibit case in the Hall
of Abandoned Technologies, vying for space alongside that old TV set, a
mechanical typewriter, and a slide rule.

Larry Zeitlin (a crank)