Subject: Re: [Leica] which digital print house do leica users like?
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 3 Apr 2001 08:38:20 -0700

On Tue, 03 April 2001, "eric korenman" wrote:

> Greetings all-
>
> Very fresh newbie-LUG member here.
> Bought a non-zoom minilux last year and 'I was saved'.
> IE, I will buy an M6 (or hexar RF?) in the next year.
> Meanwhile, I have been scanning provia 100F slides and Fuji NPH/NPS with
> Nikon LS-2000 (VueScan software) with great results.
>
> Qestion: Has anyone found a really good internet print house?
>
> EG, I use shutterfly but I find that while 5x7's are beatiful, their 4x6's
> prints are quite poor (blur, color shifts, halos.
>
> Sorry if this is off topic- but I asume this audience is likely to be as
> obsessive as I am when in comes to print quality.
> Now those lomo lc-a users are a different breed entirely...
>
> Eric

I prefer to use local labs where I can talk to people face-to-face, rather than using a distant lab.  For the smaller prints, up to 10x15, a local lab has a Fuji Frontier printer.  With knowledgeable people running the machine the results are excellent and turnaround time is good.  For larger prints I'm using a lab in another part of the state that has a ZBE Chromira printer.  The biggest frustration with using this lab it the turnaround time.  With time in transit, telephone tag, and test prints to calibrate systems (mine AND theirs!) it has taken a month or so to get a few 14x20 prints made.  I'm happy with the results but I can hardly wait for a local lab to install something bigger than the Fuji Frontier.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe