Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: film scanners
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:45:19 -0700

At 11:20 AM -0700 4/2/01, Paul Chefurka wrote:
> [...]

Haven't heard anything yet, but if they can get these machines to
truly handle 2.6D Status A transparencies the world will be a better
place. As Austin pointed out, the claimed 4.2 density range refers to
the 14bits/channel that the electronics can process, and has little
to do with the actual dynamic range, or better yet, maximum density
range that they can handle.

The best photomultiplier imaging devices in drum scanners only get to
about 3.9, with the best CCD scanners using refrigerated devices to
reduce solid state background noise only get to about 3.0. Nikon
reduces the noise issue with its multi-scanning technique, but cannot
eliminate it. Also, CCD's have a certain non-linearity at the lower
input levels, resulting in a certain compression and limiting the
D-max capability.

Most well processed slide film today will produce 3.4D Status A
density in unexposed film, but an ability to read 2.6D would handle
most of our needs. I think the Imacon can handle 2.7D, and it can
produce excellent scans.

The hope is of course, that the new sensors in the Nikons are
actually able to read a higher D-max, and that the 14 bit electronics
aren't just hooked up to sensors with the same sensitivity.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com