Subject: Re: [Leica] 15mm Heliar--Vignetting & Underexposure
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:23:04 -0400

Dan (1)
I like the shot- but you mentioned 'keystoning'- was that due to the
inherent distortion in that particular lens, or from having it not
absolutely level?
Also- I noticed that the sky was apparenly 'plain'- not your fault as either
it was uniformly overcast or cloudless, but it made me wonder if there was a
way to attach a yellow filter to the 12? I was pleased to find that the
Zenit 20mm allows you to screw little filters to the REAR of the lens, and
was wondering if the Heliar afforded the same convenience?
I know there is a real emotional trigger mentioning filters, but with B&W I
do use them for certain effects, and have found that a red filter in some
cases actually 'sharpens' some images( Just an observation aside, and one
which I have not yet fully explored)
I might get to like the Heliar, even if I'd need to lose a few kilos to keep
my considerable avoirdupois out of the frame!!
Also- I have found that the wide angle does seem to 'fool' the meter in the
camera, and often I use a handheld and get better exposures as a result. I
think that with the handheld, I tend to meter on the 'central' subject, and
if it comes out properly exposed, the rest of the shot seems to 'fall' into
place.
All in all, your use of the Heliar seems very effective. Do you have some
samples of more 'up close and personal' street shots, perhaps? I would be
interested in seeing those as well!
Dan (2) ( My friends call me "Roundbo"....) Post