Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning with LS-2000
From: "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:21:25 -0800

What you describe sounds like the "ICE" functionality is on.

Nikon scanners use a 4th infrared channels to detect surface defect or dust,
then performs interpolation to makes these defects less visible.  Silver
crystals in conventional B&W films block IR, fooling the scanner/scanning
software to think that the negative is full of scratches.

So, turn off the "ICE" functionality and you should be set.