Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Chat
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:56:47 -0800

I applaud them for trying it and must point out that I am sure they learned
from the first experience.  I missed the first 10 minutes (it started at 6
am in California), and don't know yet what I missed.  Approx. one answer/ten
questions -- I kept picturing some guy at his computer with a German-English
dictionary!  Only useful information is telling the focal length and f-stop
of the upcoming wide angle zoom (21-35mm f3.5-4 -- more limited range than I
had anticipated).  No need to hold off on the 35-70 in hopes for a 24-70 or
upgraded 28-70 or thereabouts!

Digital is obviously a long way off since they haven't even decided whether
to use M or R, but what I found intriguing was the suggestion of a body that
could use either mount -- probably just need to make it for M with an R
adapter, and an electronic VF.

R8 outsells R6.2 by 3:1 margin, which is consistent with what dealers around
her have told me -- most see the R6.2 as a special order item.  The usual
comments about being committed to the R system, that they think the R8 is
great (and I concur!) and that the R6.2 will be made as long as there is
sufficient demand.  They pointed out that "lite" models -- RE and R4s never
sold well, and I can see why -- you can usually find a demo or other deal on
the full-fledged model, so why buy a stripped down one, unless it was very
substantially cheaper or smaller.

I thought there were too many people trying to get there $.02 in while they
had the chance.  It will be interesting to see if they publish the number of
people who logged on.  The only comment under my ID came form my daughter,
when I stepped away from the computer --"my dad loves leicas"!

Tom Schofield