Subject: Re: [Leica] Wedding Photography
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:18:12 -0500

At 02:22 PM 3/29/01 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>Unless you are working for friends as i will be doing in July....
>The huge amount of money is very important.
>It's like armor. They will treat you with respect if they pay though the nose.
>Sell yourself anything resembling short
>         and they'll cut you off at the knees.
>Nobody respects a cheap wedding photographer. And boy will you get
>exclamated on!
>You'll get ordered around, not invited to eat, and bombarded with point and
>shooters hoarding in on your shot!

I thought folks were friendly in OR? (My cousins living in Eugene all swear
it is a great place filled with friendly people.) What embittered you so on
weddings Mark?

I've done weddings as my primary photography income since about 1990. While
not all of them have been the funnest time, it is work. But, in all that
time, I've never experienced anyone "cutting me off at the knees." I'm only
33 and may still be naive but I generally find that in wedding photography
as in the rest of life, if you deal with people in a forthright fair and
honest manner they will usually reciprocate. I don't understand the desire
of many pros who look at their clients as adversaries and can only assume
that THAT attitude is why they end up having bad experiences.

I am always invited to eat, never allow myself to be ordered around or
bombarded and usually welcome the opportunity to help others improve their
photographs. I am usually treated as a valued guest and love doing all that
I can to make sure the B&G's day goes well.

Maybe I'm just an odd duck in the business but that's how I get referrals
and my business keeps chugging on.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Bérubé

Message from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Wedding Photography)