Subject: Re: [Leica] Help! (D400/Xtol) now high speed B&W
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:45:57 EST

In a message dated 3/28/01 3:50:17 AM, norman_milks@mailg.pribilofs.k12.ak.us
writes:

<<  I have a closet darkroom that I could
process film.  What would be a consistent B&W film/developer combo that I
could shoot at several speeds.  I've seen a lot of discussion on Delta and
and XTOL mixed at varying ratios.  I want to keep it fairly simple, but
I'll to do whatever it takes to document these kids. >>

Norman,

If you need a high speed film I recommend Fuji Neopan 1600 in XTOL 1:1;
Kodak's times are a good starting point.  I use this combination all the time
and like it a lot.  Grain is surprisingly small and tonality is nice.  I rate
it at 1200, but it could easily go higher.  I would also suggest that a small
flash might be useful.  Either one with a diffuser or bounce it off the
ceiling-it might solve all your problems.  I hope no one yells at me, but I
like the look of flash sometimes, just be sure you also shoot with available
light part of the time so you have nice natural looking pictures too.  Let us
see those cute kids when you can.
Richard Wasserman