Subject: Re: [Leica] Help Needed for Leica IIIf purchase!!!
From: "Jason Hall" <JASON@jbhall.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:05:24 +0100

Yannis

As has already been pointed out by others that price is too high and
do you really want a screw mount Leica?  The screw mounts are great
cameras but not as user friendly as say an M2, for less than the £800
youve been quoted you should be able to pick up a clean M2 with 50/2
Summicron from Jessops, this would be my choice if I was planning to
spend that much.

Having said that I have a IIIC and a IIIC/F they both came with 50/2
Summitar's, the IIIC cost me about £290 (including £100 for new
shutter curtains and CLA) and the IIIC/F was around £250, both users
but quite clean looking, I bought them both on the infamous ebay.  The
IIIC is a cheaper alternative to the IIIF and the only major
difference is the flash sync.

Regarding the Summitar, it is a nice lens if you like a slightly soft
look but its nowhere near as sharp as modern glass, I use mine a quite
a lot but increasingly I find myself wishing I'd used something
sharper, particularly at f2.  You might also want to check the
aperture blades on the Summitar, the Hexagonal aperture Summitars have
less smooth Bokeh (out of focus areas) in my opinion, if you have a
choice get the one that doesnt have the Hex aperture.

Jason Hall