Subject: RE: [Leica] WAS: SNAPS & England & the LHS: NOW "snaps use"
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:52:05 -0800

>I think what bugs me is the phrase "gelatin silver".  Knowing that a print
>is silver-based is useful.  Adding the word "gelatin" turns it into a
>phrase with a whiff of insider information: "Oh, it's not one of those
>plain ordinary silver prints, you know - this one's Gelatin Silver, and
>that's why the price is $500 higher than you expected".  "Giclee" is just
>a pretentious euphemism, as far as I can tell.  "Squirt prints" just
>doesn't have the same faux-art cachet, does it?  And I would bet that even
>"inkjet" has too many lowbrow connotations for a curator's comfort -
>although I think that's changing these days.
>
>Paul

Isn't "giclée" merely the French for "ink jet"?

If so, would it be the use of the French term in English that you find
pretentious (for in this case it would not be a euphemism), or is it the
term itself?

Guy

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] WAS: SNAPS & England & the LHS: NOW "snaps use")