Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Off topic: finding a portrait studio
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:00:13 -0500

At 03:33 AM 3/28/01 -0600, brougham3@yahoo.com wrote:
>My wedding photos came out ok.  Just ok.  I wasn't a happy camper that he
>told us at the last minute that his assistant would be doing most of them.
>You have to start sometime...but not at *my* wedding.  Well, actually at my
>wedding, as it turned out.  :)
>
>If I had it all to do over, I'd stay away from portrait/wedding
>photographers and go with a commercial photog, like Mark says.

OK. You weren't happy with your experience with your Wedding Photographer's
behaviour (and you shouldn't have been with a bait and switch...that's why
you should read the contract before you sign.) So because you got burned by
a disreputable wedding shooter, we are all beneath consideration and you
suggest that any prospective couple should seek out a Commercial
Photographer to shoot their wedding instead?

Had it occurred that not all Photographers are listed as Wedding
Photographers because (as has been discussed at length here on the LUG in
the past) not all Photographers can shoot weddings, enjoy shooting weddings
and/or have any experience shooting weddings?

No, I'm not slighting Commercial Photographers, I wouldn't suggest that
someone hire a Portrait/Wedding Photographer to shoot a Stock Prospectus or
a Catalogue Layout either....that's why most photographers specialize.
Being a wedding shooter (like being a photojournalist) is a cross
discipline genre. In just about every wedding a good photographer should be
able to shoot, editorial pictures (candids and the increasingly popular "PJ
style" wedding), formal portraits (of couple and family and chosen guests),
environmental portraits (mostly of other vendors) and product shots (rings,
cake, presents, etc...) all in mixed and changing-by-the-minute light.
While any given photographer may excel at getting the photographs that you
want for any job, we all have strengths, weaknesses and preferences. That
is why shopping for a wedding photographer to find someone with whom you
feel good and whose work you like is so important.

I'm curious and baffled, would you also suggest someone with prostate
problems consult a gynecologist for relief?

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Bérubé
http://www.GoodPhotos.com

Replies: Reply from brougham3@yahoo.com ([Leica] Re: Off topic: finding a portrait studio)