Subject: Re: [Leica] Off topic: finding a portrait studio
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:51:03 -0800

Brian Reid wrote:

> > www.ppa.com  - Professional Photographers of America.
>
> Perfect. Thank you. A treasure trove.

You should go to one of their exhibits first before you hire them. I think you'd
be amazed.
The shlock level is quite high. Commercial photographers tend to stay away from
these guys
(with plenty of exceptions I'm sure.)

They sound great! PPO!! but we are talking shrink wrap shopping mall city here unfortunately.
Cutesy cutesy fuzzy wuzzy's. overlit, over diffused, machine printed, sprayed
and textureized, canvas embossed.
VPS or bust! RB 67's with resin filters.
Out of a hundred there might be 4 who would be OK.
Try to get a real photographer, a commercial photographer to do it.

On an even more obtuse note.

A commercial photographer will charge you $180 for their time and $20 for the
print.
A portrait photographer will charge you $20 for their time and $180 for the
print. (With a one print minimum)

I'll take deal number one.

And yes there are a few great portait photographers out there. Was karsh in the
Portrait section?

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA