Subject: Re: [Leica] Jupiter 85mm f2
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:32:28 -0500

At 07:47 PM 3/26/2001 -0500, Dante A. Stella wrote:

>But what could describe the majesty of trying out a bunch, even from "good
>years," seriatim, and getting frustrated because the dies were worn out that
>day, or the barrel's been flexed a little, or someone skipped the shims in
>the RF cam.  I know the black ones have a certain cachet, but they are
>generally pretty poor.  "Chrome" is better, maybe 56-59 (the years I have had
>in that color have been good).

Now, this IS odd.  I have had perhaps 30 2/85 Jupiter-9's pass through my
hands, and have subjected 20 or so to photographic tests.  Three were dogs.
 So, 85% seem magnificent, and 15% aren't keepers.  The odds are around
17:3 that any given Jupiter-9 will be a wonderful lens.

AND a Jupiter-9 should cost less than $100, while those Horrid Illegal
Japanese Thefts will run three times that, in today's market.  Why pay
more, for less?

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!