Subject: [Leica] Digital M's?
From: "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 08:57:20 +0100

It is always struck me, as an engineer who loves simplicity, that the Leica
M body would be the most sensible and simple camera available to make a
"digital back" for.
The clip on hinged back could be replaced by a unit carrying the sensor. The
base could be replaced by a connecting unit containing the electronics,
memory  and battery. Depending on the number of connection wires involved it
would even be simple to have a monitor screen on the reverse of the hinged
back.
No other camera I am aware of could have this done so simply.
In the absence of current 24x36 chips special viewfinders would be needed.
The Leica would however be less compromised than other SLR based conversions
due to the superiority of its wide angle lenses necessary for the smaller
chips.
cheers Frank