Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Nutmeg
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:15:41 -0800

Here's what Burroughs has to say about nutmeg in "Naked Lunch":

"Convicts and sailors sometimes have recourse to nutmeg. About a tablespoon
is swallowed with water. Results are vaguely similar to marijuana with side
effects of headache and nausea. Death would probably supervene before
addiction if such addiction is possible. I have only taken nutmeg once.
   There are a number of narcotics of the nutmeg family in use among the
Indians of South America. They are usually administered by sniffing a dried
powder of the plant. The Medicine Men take these noxious substances, and go
into convulsive states. Their twitchings and mutterings are thought to have
prophetic significance. A friend of mine was violently sick for three days
after experimenting with a drug of the nutmeg family in South America."

I seem to recall he also talks about shooting nutmeg, in "Naked Lunch" I
think (couldn't find the passage - maybe I'm hallucinating).

Guy

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Nutmeg)