Subject: Re: [Leica] Military Photographers (was: New M6)
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:48:00 -0800

Taking a little break from matting prints.
Too bad I missed that piece on Combat Photogs. While shooting the Coast
Guard's Bicentennial, in 1990, I noticed that all their photographers
used Nikon F3s. Except for their older photographers most of them
couldn't shoot their way out of a birthday party for a 3 year old
toddler. One thing of note, is that the USCG has an artist program.
Artists are invited to attend various activities and actions, which they
later will make paintings from for the Coast Guard's Museum and
historical archives. That courtesy can be extended to photographers from
what I'm told.
I think the days of an army respecting a field photographer has long
been over, as they are seen more and more as an extension of the total
war. In the past decade field photographers have been dying at the rate
of sometimes over 50 a year. More often than not by being shot in the back.
My studio, by the way, is in Fort MacArthur, Upper Reservation. The
building I'm in used to be the photography intelligence section. The
last usage, while it was still operational, was in reviewing the visual
intelligence during the Viet Nam action.

Slobodan Dimitrov

"Michael E. Bérubé" wrote:

> At 10:08 AM 3/21/01 -0800, Tom Schofield wrote:
> >The History Channel had a show on the top ten most dangerous professions,
> >and Combat Photographer made the list, I think at #4 or thereabouts.
>
> "Ms on the battlefield" have been a thing of the past since the last Huey
> pulled out of Saigon.

> >Of course, the controversy is that the networks and news syndicates are very happy to have
  the photos handed to them on a silver platter, in almost real time,
but that all the info is then

Replies: Reply from "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com> (Re: [Leica] War...what is it good for?)
Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Military Photographers (was: New M6))
Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] War...what is it good for?)