Subject: Re: [Leica] Rapidwinder
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:56:48 EST

 George, sorry about the late answer to the vertical use of a M6 with a
Rapidwinder. I was stuck in my machineshop trying to catch up with the
backorders. I am a left-eye photographer and started making these
Rapidwinders when my last two black Leicavit MP's bit the dust. For me and
about 3000 other M-users they work, but it is not for everybody. This is a
blessing for me as I am at capacity for production.
 On the vertical angle, I flip the camera up and releasing with my "regular"
finger on my right hand, holding the camera in my left hand. The edge of the
camera is cradled in the palm of my left hand, the fingers wrapped around the
lever. Release, "squeeze with the left fingers and release again. As for your
"friends" at Magnum, we obviously dont know the same people, as Magnum N.Y.
and Paris has been steady customers of mine since I started in 1987. There
are at least 50 Rapidwinders in the hands of Magnum shooters.
 There is an advantage to the Rapidwinder in using the M's - it does add some
"bulk" to the bottom of the camera and this makes it easier to hold it,
particularly with larger lenses ( 21/24, 35/1,4, 50/1,4, 50,1,75/1,4 as well
as the 90's and 135's). The lever is made from stainless steel and has been
used as an offensive weapon, defensive weapon and also as a tripod. The user
stuck the lever into the drywall of the apartment and steadied the camera
that way. I asked him what the owner of the apartment thought of it? " Oh, he
was dead, it was a murder investigation"!.
 I am quite happy you dont see any use for the Rapidwinder as I would have to
put you on the backorder list if you changed your mind.
Tom A

Replies: Reply from "Bill Grimwood" <Bill@grimwood.net> (Re: [Leica] Rapidwinder)
Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Rapidwinder)
Reply from "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com> (Re: [Leica] Rapidwinder)