Subject: Re: [Leica] Aesthetics vs. Function
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:10:56 -0500

At 06:02 AM 3/20/01 -0800, Dennis Painter wrote of Leica's production of
the M5:
>If they did 'get their lunch handed to them' don't you think it was because
>they were not in tune with what their customers wanted?  This is basic, you
>listen to your customers, build what they want and try  to put in features
>they
>didn't expect but which delight them.

Sure. The M5 was a radical shift aesthetically from the M4. It takes
getting used to when all your life you've been taught that the design of
the M3/4 is what a Leica should look like. If they had managed to make all
of the improvements that the M5 offered and still keep the same shape of
the M4 (and that Red Dot!), the M5 would probably be in production. The M5
is the classic study in function over aesthetics. Even today, once you get
used to the extra size and different shape I think most users of the M5
would agree that it is a far better camera than the M6. (It seems you
either LOVE the 5 or hate it depending on how used to a 6 you are.) The M5
simply offers more options that make shooting more enjoyable while
minimizing the new plastic parts and that TTL flash and blinking light
silliness with its hungry circuitry. Were money not an option, I'd have
kept mine for life, but of course it is always a personal choice.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael